Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The young and the crazy

Kitty Class: Sally, Melody, Will, Wendy, Sebastian, and Andy


Time is flying and life is good. This week I'm averaging more days sleeping in Seoul than in my own bed. There's always a birthday party (last night), going away party or a bachelorette party (last Saturday) to be had. Last weekend I finally made my way to Napi, the hookah bar in Hongdae after an unsuccessful search last time and will be going back soon to try a different fruity flavor of tobacco.

Hmmm... What else have I been up to? I went to the play Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett in Insadong on Sunday night. It was entertaining and also the perfect way to extend the weekend as much as possible before the inevitable Monday morning. Unexpectedly, after the play I also witnessed two (possibly homeless) Koreans having sex in an alley right off a main street. That was quite a risque scene, especially for Korea.

From the classroom, my new kids are getting more manageable each week but nonetheless I still tend to feel like an overpaid babysitter at least twice daily during my morning classes. Those feelings usually manifest themselves when I see my class crawling up the stairs to go to lunch and when the unfortunate child of the day (there's always one) approaches me with urine soaked pants. Fortunately for me (but not the deskteacher), cleaning up after these accidents is not my job. It's a good thing they're cute. Yesterday my class was trailing after me in a game of Follow-the-Leader when something wet fell on my sandaled foot. The first in line, Will, decided it would be fun to see how far he could get his saliva to hang from his mouth without losing it. Needless to say, he lost it.


60 seconds in the life of an English teacher. Watch this video by clicking here. This is my Monday through Friday afternoon class. My class is rarely like this... although the students are always sugar-high crazy and very talkative and they do have the tendency to get out of control occasionally. Notice Howie in the taekwondo outfit being pulled off the table and Austin's ventriloquist act.