Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Vacation & Xmas Countdown

Only 10 days left before vacation! And only 11 days before Christmas, but it doesn't feel like it at all despite the freezing cold weather and the Christmas songs at school. In Korea, Christmas is more of a couple's holiday similar to Valentine's Day than the family-oriented holiday it is back home. The mass commercialization of the holiday hasn't yet reached U.S. levels but Christmas decorations and music can still be found at department stores and other places. There has been a dramatic increase in Christianity in Korea in the past few decades (which partly contributes to the decline in Buddhism) and I wouldn't be surprised if Christmas in Korea soon becomes more like the holiday it is in the States. (speaking of Christians taking over Korea...Does anyone else living in Seoul get approached by Christian missionaries on a regular basis or do I just look like an easy target?) The holiday should make next week go by relatively fast and then it's time to relax and enjoy a week-long vacation. I'm definitely ready for some vacation time, especially with the new schedule I started, and I will be appreciating the 9 school-free days very soon. I'm staying in South Korea but other than that I still have no idea where I'm going. I'll probably be jumping on a bus and heading South somewhere and see where I end up...