Wednesday, November 23, 2005

It's a small world

Yesterday I took my first trip south on line 4 subway and had the pleasure of meeting with a cousin who coincidentally is living 20 minutes from me on the same line...What are the odds? How strange that our two unconventional sets of circumstances crossed again in South Korea? He was assigned to live in Korea for a 2 year mission as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He has been living here for a month now and I was very impressed with how fast he's learning Korean. I suppose learning the language is very necessary when you spend everyday conversing with Korean people. I met him and his Korean companion for a dinner of sundubu and then afterwards we went to his Bishop's house. It was my first time in a Korean house and actually the first time I've even seen houses in or around Seoul (most Seoulites live in enormous apartment complexes). It was unusual being inside an actual 2-story house in Korea because I've grown quite used to my one-room apartment where every inch of floor is used efficiently. Wow, a separate kitchen and living room, I've already forgot what it was like! (I've actually been in a friends apartment here that is literally the size of a walk-in closet.) It was wonderful to see him again though and get reacquainted with one another; although we often hear about each other from family, we've actually only seen each other a handful of times. I hope we get the opportunity to meet up again while we're both living here but if not, I wonder what occasion will bring us together next time we meet...?



Jamie and his companion