Thursday, September 15, 2005

Chuseok Holiday


This holiday takes place on September 18th this year and is recognized by foreigners as the Korean version of Thanksgiving Day. Similar to Thanksgiving, Chuseok is the day when families gather and express thanks to their ancestors for a plentiful harvest and wish for another good year. Everyone gets off work and school on Monday and since I have a 3 day weekend I decided to head to two islands, Ulleungdo and Dokdo, off the East coast with two teachers I work with. Ulleungdo is an extinct volcanic island which I've heard is very exotic and beautiful. My kids told me I can get really good octopus and other seafood there-- I can't wait to try the octopus tentacles that are still moving on my plate! I'm leaving on Friday night after a full day of teaching, then sleeping on the bus and arriving in time to watch the sunrise. On Saturday, Sunday and Monday we will be able to hike, snorkel, fish, sight see and many other activities. After this week of teaching I'm definitely ready for a 3 day weekend. The weeks are going by so fast-I've already been here 3 weeks- I only wish some of my classes would go by that fast and the weeks would slow down...